Reporting to the Design Manager, the Technical Designer will be responsible for creating world class swim & athletic apparel that is acknowledged as leading in innovation, design, function, fit and quality. You will be involved in building the line from the initial tech pack to the production of garments. This person will be creative yet highly organized and technically knowledgeable. You must have a commitment to quality and investing in results that add value to our business, a sense of urgency executing job responsibilities, prioritizing urgent and important work and an understanding and a passion for the industry in which we operate. In this role, you will get to work with a small, brilliant team on one of the most desirable, fast growing DTC brands out there today!
Style Development and Approval
- Understand Design’s creative vision, including silhouette, fabrication, fit intent and design details, and effectively collaborate to translate into a final product
- Proactively recommend solutions that will ensure Design intent, fit, construction, quality, timelines and cost are met
- Partnering closely with Design, you support the Designers to create, complete and maintain accurate technical packages, BOMs, and supporting documentation following the GTM calendar
- Spec and analyze garments to determine compliance of measurements, workmanship, construction direction, and fit intent
- Communicate sample requirements & style revisions to factory
- Utilize your construction expertise to aid in finding the appropriate design solutions, identify potential fit, quality and production issues and make appropriate recommendations while maintaining design’s creative vision and fit intent
- Ensure pattern meets Left on Friday’s design and fit intent
- Identify and proactively engage business partners & managers when issues arise with recommendations for viable options/solutions
- Collaborate with the QA department to ensure there are no potential quality assurance issues and work out solutions when issues arise
- Manage files associated with style approval, including final production pattern, approved tech pack etc.
- Support Design in preparing for cross-functional reviews and the creation of presentation documents.
- Track and manage workflow and ensure seasonal deadlines are met by maintaining thE applicable areas of PLM, GTM and other administrative tools used by the DesigN Department.
- Contribute to the development of creative ideas and concepts, taking creative direction into concepts and final products.
Fit & Construction Standards
- You attend fit sessions and accurately communicate and update the tech specs, representing the Designer’s vision.
- Utilize Left On Friday’s Fit Classifications and Patterns to ensuring fit consistency throughout every category.
- Understand fit model measurements and how to incorporate into fit process
- Understand grading standards and manage exceptions effectively.
- Follow Left On Friday garment construction standards and manage exceptions effectively.
- Follow technical trim standards.
- Ensure garment fit and construction consistency within product category.
- Facilitate wear-testing protocols with cross functional partners.
- 8+ years minimum industry experience in Activewear and/or Swim
- BA, BFA or BS in Design required (or equivalent).
- Expert knowledge of construction, patterning, textiles, trims, sewing techniques and technology applications.
- Proficient use of Gerber, PLM, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Google Suite, Mac platform.
- Knowledge of product creation calendar timeline and able to work against deadlines.
- A proactive and entrepreneurial sense of urgency and ability to prioritize important work.
Victoria, BC. Required 3 days in office, 2 days flexible. Discussion of a more remote position is possible for an ideal candidate but LOF will not cover accommodation & travel costs in Victoria.
Submit your application here. Posting closes December 31, 2023.