Reporting to the Co-Founder, The Design Manager will lead and execute on all aspects of product concepts, creativity and innovation, design and execution. You will be responsible for managing and leading the design & development teams and will work cross-functionally to achieve business and profit objectives while adhering to design ethos, brand strategy and timelines. You must have a desire to conceptualize and execute new ideas, designs, and products that elevate Left on Friday. In this role, you will get to work with a small, brilliant team on one of the most desirable, fast growing DTC brands out there today!
- You are an expert in your technical knowledge and design ability. You act as a resource and mentor for junior team members.
- You lead trend research, address newness and big ideas that will drive volume and grow the business. You excel at presenting your concepts and communicating seasonal direction and design to the team.
- You are responsible for designing and executing seasonal styles that reflect Left On Friday’s Design ethos and leading the design team towards the goal of a cutting edge seasonal product line that delivers on beauty, function and margin targets.
- You are responsible for both the conceptual creation of new styles and the evolution of core styles, and the administrative work of maintaining this information throughout the season.
- You combine active product use experience, market knowledge, trend research, and collaboration with your designers to create the line. You anticipate market needs and how to prepare for them.
- You are responsible for inspiration development and presentation, colour, material design, trim design, design, flat sketching, mockups, specs and technical drawings.
- You partner with ambassadors/athletes to continually elevate and innovate our product through wear testing and insights.
- You actively seek out new sources, suppliers and contractors that align with Left On Friday’s strategic growth plans.
- You execute fittings with precision. You are an expert in apparel construction.
- You contribute to special developments including but not limited to partnerships, collabs and sponsorships.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Teamwork and clear communication are essential. You work cross functionally within the entire product team, collaborating with product development, fit, merchandising, raw materials development, QC and colour, sourcing and design operations, ensuring your teams have the most up to date information on each style to support in the development, execution, costing and delivery of assortment.
- Partner with merch team to understand the line performance and action feedback for continual innovation and/or improvement of product. Join key meetings for downloads.
- Manage and oversee a small team of designers and developers, contributing to their growth and development.
- Responsible for performance evaluations, hiring and coaching of designated team member(s).
- Deliver clear education on styles and strategy to Customer Service, Operations teams, and Brand/Marketing.
Attention to Detail
- You have razor sharp attention to detail in product & process. You have a clear understanding of function and how to embed style, beauty and fashion where needed.
- You adhere to design development deadlines in accordance with the GTM calendar for on-time delivery. You understand the impact of your decisions on timelines and margins and ensure your team is aware of these impacts.
- You build and adhere to departmental budgets.
- BA, BFA or BS in Design required (or equivalent).
- Minimum of 10+ years of design experience is required
- Track record of growing high performing teams in a fast-paced growth environment.
- Advanced knowledge of fabrications for swim, active wear & casual lifestyle products.
- A strong understanding of colour, print, fabric, fit, and garment construction.
- A team-oriented attitude and an eagerness to learn
- A proactive and entrepreneurial sense of urgency and ability to prioritize
- Embodies the LOF lifestyle
- Proficient in Adobe Suite, GSuite, and PLM
Victoria, BC. Required 3 days in office, 2 days flexible.
Submit your application here. Posting closes December 31, 2023.